Thursday, January 1, 2015

Thinking about a resolution?

Resolution; a resolve; a decision or determination: “to make a firm resolve to do something.”

Daniel refuses food from the king's table.
With the new year upon us, I could not help but think about the perennial act of making New Year’s resolutions. Many of us resolve to lose weight and get in shape. Seems I make that resolution every year! And, I always begin with good intentions, but then life happens. Living gets in the way of my resolve, causing me to break that resolution I was so intent on keeping.

Has that happened to you?

This year, my resolutions include the get fit and lose weight ones, as always, but I have added more resolutions that I feel are much more important to me, and maybe to you as well.

This year I plan to author these blog posts on a consistent basis, delving into God’s Word to learn more about his plans for us. When a blog subject comes to me, my first source of reference will be my Bible. Seems God has left his mark of guidance on every aspect of the human condition right there, in His Word.

My prayer is that you will be positively impacted by what I write, take the guidance provided in His infallible Word and use it to grow your faith and commitment to God.

 Understanding my commitment to God and you, I begin with…

 Who better to write about resolutions than Daniel?

Daniel, who was quite possibly a member of the Judah royal family, was one of those singled out by King Nebuchadnezzar to eat food and wine from the king’s own table.

Of course, the king had a reason for sharing his plenty with a captive. Nebuchadnezzar planned to train these young men from the royal family, men, “without any physical defect, handsome, showing aptitude for every kind of learning, well informed, quick to understand, and qualified to serve in the king’s palace.” (Daniel 1:4 NIV) After these men were trained for three years, they would enter into the king’s service.

Even though the royal fare would have been much more satisfying than that prepared for other captives from Judah, Daniel made a commitment to not drink or eat from the king’s table, thereby honoring the one true God.

You’ll find Daniel’s resolution in Daniel 1:8 (NIV)
But Daniel resolved not to defile himself with the royal food and wine, and he asked the chief official for permission not to defile himself this way.

One has to believe that food on the pagan king’s table would have included that which had been sacrificed to idols, which was forbidden fodder for the Jewish people (Exodus 34:15).

Also, Jewish dietary laws set strict parameters for food preparation and the Babylonian cooks would have never adhered to these rules, making it impossible for Daniel to eat the king’s largess (Exodus 12:8-9 NIV).

Not only that, but it would not be unbelievable to understand that the Babylonian diet would have included meats forbidden for Jewish consumption (Leviticus 11:4 NKJV).

Because there were no laws prohibiting the consumption of any type of vegetable, Daniel and three other Judean captives ate only vegetables and drank only water during their time of captivity.

Such resolve under less-than-optimum conditions makes me believe, that if we, as human as Daniel, really put our hearts, minds and souls to a resolution, especially one that involves growing our faith through reading and absorbing His Word, we will persevere and be the better for it.

Want to read more about Daniel and how he overcame a foreign environment through his faith? If so, you can read the entire Old Testament book by clicking here.

Make your commitment to God, and yourself, today. I did.

May God bless each and every one of you every day in every way. Amen!

No comments: