Friday, January 23, 2015

Share the Good News

Have you had good news you were just itching to share with someone – anyone?

You know the kind - the knock-you-out-of-your-socks kind that really blows you away? Things like your child gets accepted to Harvard; your youngest finally gets math; your daughter gets a fully paid scholarship to the institute of higher learning of her choice; you’re going to be a mom (or a dad); you’re going to be a grandparent; you’re engaged. I could go on and on, but you get the drift I am sure.

Well, I have some good news to share too, but mine comes from our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. Yes, you guessed it, it is the Good News of eternal life through His grace by believing in Him.

Probably the most famous of all the Bible verses pertaining to belief in Christ being associated with eternal life is John 3:16 (NIV) For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

It’s the first verse I memorized as a child. Perhaps that is the case for you too.

At the time, I really did not thoroughly understand the significance of such a belief. I did not understand the commitment required of me. I thought it was enough to just believe.

But, I have found that faith requires more of me, even though the apostle Paul said that “not by works so that no one can boast.” (Ephesians 2:9 (NIV))

When I did a Bible study centered on James, I found a question that caused me to consider deeds as a significant part of the Christian, faith-centered life. One verse stood out; James 2:14 (NIV) What good is it, my brothers and sisters, if someone claims to have faith but has no deeds? Can such faith save them?

Good question, eh?

Jesus talked about advancing His message through helping one another, explaining that by assisting a person in peril, you are actually spreading the love of Christ and His message through your acts of kindness and mercy. In Matthew 25:44-46 (NIV), [Jesus said] 44 “They also will answer, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you?’ 45 “He will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.’ 46 “Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life.”

For me, helping my fellow man is being true to my “job” as a Christian. Likewise, through this ministry of the written word spreading the Good News of Christ’s birth, death and resurrection is a true follower’s calling that, again, for me, is second to none.

Bottom line, Jesus, through His sacrifice, gave us the Good News to proclaim. It’s part of the Great Commission where Christ directed his followers to spread the Gospel to all the earth. Matthew 28:16-20 (NIV) 16 Then the eleven disciples went to Galilee, to the mountain where Jesus had told them to go. 17 When they saw him, they worshiped him; but some doubted. 18 Then Jesus came to them and said, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. 19 Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20 and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.”

It's as simple as – you are saved by grace if you believe. BUT, that saving grace requires you to –love one another and proclaim your gift of eternal life through His grace by faith in Him.

Why not start today by spreading the Good News to others you meet, whether it’s at work or at play or in the grocery store, or at the barber shop or even at Bible study or church?

After all, “Good news kept silent is no news at all.”  ---C.P. Hia

Until next week - May God bless you and help you spread the Good News.

No comments: