Tuesday, January 13, 2015

God provides

Sorry I missed posting yesterday. What can I say? It was just “one of those days.” Onward and upward…

This morning I decided it was time for cabbage soup. We had all the ingredients in the pantry, so I figured, “Why not?” OK, don’t hold your nose and say, ‘yuck.’ This is the best soup known to man, at least in this household’s humble opinion. It’s a combination of a variety of good-for-you veggies, and serves to jump start a healthy eating plan and/or a weight loss experience.

As I stood at my kitchen island this morning chopping the myriad vegetables, (or at least it seemed like it) I couldn’t help but think of God’s provision for our physical wellbeing.

Since I spend an inordinate amount of time in Matthew’s retelling of Christ’s exhortation about worrying, attempting to get a grip on this sin of over-involvement, I immediately recalled the verse about feeding the birds.

The “do-not-worry” passage, as I classify it, can be found in Matthew 6:25-34.  Today’s post focuses on my remembrance of Matthew 6:26 (NIV) [Jesus said] Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they?

Good question, "Aren’t we?"

On bad-news days, one has to wonder [if we are more valuable than the birds of the air].

Why would God even bother with the likes of terrorist bombers and rapists and murderers and spousal abusers – or with any of us, for that matter? After all, none of us are without sin, no, not even one.

The apostle John doesn’t mince words on the subject. In his letter to the believers in Ephesus (today’s western Turkey) John writes, “If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us,” (1 John 1:8 (NIV)). But, he adds, “If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness,” (1 John 1:9 (NIV))

A-h-h-h-h, (light bulb atop head moment) there’s the explanation. He is faithful; He is just; He forgives our transgressions. He is always there to take care of us.

I sincerely believe He is with us even in our sin. We can count on His presence.

He is there in our trials. I believe he uses trials and temptations to bring us closer to Him.

It’s been said, “There are no atheists on the battlefield.” I believe this to be a true statement as I cannot fathom a more egregious trial than battle. Who else would you turn to on the battlefield, but God?

I believe He will take care of us no matter our situation or station in life.

I believe…do you?

By the way - the cabbage soup is delicious! Yummy to the tummy!

May God bless each and every one of you every day in every way. Amen!

No comments: