Thursday, January 15, 2015

Don't hide your light

As the song says, "Hide it under a bushel? NO! I'm gonna let it shine!"
Does your light shine? Or do you hide it from others because you find it difficult to share your faith? 

In Luke 8:16 (NIV) [Jesus said] “No one lights a lamp and hides it in a clay jar or puts it under a bed. Instead, they put it on a stand, so that those who come in can see the light.”

As a sinner, it has at times been difficult to shine His light, although I like to think I always try.

God has been good to my family and me. He has always been there no matter what. He has heard my pleas for help. He has guided me in the right path. He has been my rock.

Why shouldn’t I share His message with everyone? What better message is there than His saving grace?

As most know, Jesus left heaven, became man and lived among us. He ministered on this earth for three years, preaching the message of love.  Christ’s message of grace through faith in Him so threatened the religious and political figures of the day that they sentenced Him to death on a cross.

Think about it – death on a cross. Have you ever read a description of death by crucifixion? I will not share its gruesomeness here. Suffice it to say that there are very few forms of death that compare to this ghastly demise.

Bottom line – Jesus knew this was his fate. He knew he would be betrayed. He knew he would face death on a cross. Knowing the upcoming suffering that faced Him, Jesus even prayed that his Father would release him from it.

He knew. But Jesus came to earth anyway.

Jesus came as an atoning sacrifice for our sins. But, he knew he would rise, defeating death, ensuring eternal life for those who believe in Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior. Paul verifies this path to eternal life in his letter to the Romans, Chapter 4, Verse 25 (NIV), He [Jesus] was delivered over to death for our sins and was raised to life for our justification.

Now consider this – If Jesus could preach and share, knowing the outcome of the cross, why can’t we do the same?

As Americans, we are not likely to be physically crucified for our beliefs, although we may face verbal abuse. Should that stop us from sharing the Light that is Jesus Christ?

No! Absolutely not!

As the old saying goes, “Sticks and stones my break my bones, but words will never hurt me.”

Maybe we should all remember that axiom, sharing the Light that is Jesus Christ with everyone we meet. That is my purpose in authoring this blog, sharing His message. Hopefully, my posts will strike a chord in your psyche, spurring you on to pass your God-given light to the world around you.

Pay it forward, so to speak.

This blog post brings to mind the ending of a recent Our Daily Bread devotion, where author Dennis Fisher wrote, “Light up your world by reflecting the light of Jesus.”

How about you, are you ready to "light up your world?”

Share the Gospel of Jesus Christ and see how its impact on your friends and relatives will light up their world. I can’t think of any better accomplishment than securing eternal life for those we love.

Can you?

My prayer today – May God guide and direct you in sharing His message with one and all. Amen

No comments: