Monday, May 11, 2015

Time to reflect

How was your Mother’s Day?

Mine was extremely busy. Since we had spent Friday and Saturday traveling, Sunday became a day of work – not rest, as the Master intended, Genesis 2:2 (NIV) By the seventh day God had finished the work he had been doing; so on the seventh day he rested from all his work.

Now, because of that 10-hour work day, which included nine loads of laundry, baking cookies and cornbread, cooking dinner, writing and much, much more, I am typing away on my laptop, sitting on the couch with a heating pad on my aching back. When will I learn that I am no longer that 25-year-old, never-say-quit young woman? My husband says I need to rest today. Perhaps he is right, although I hate to admit it! Besides, the heating pad feels s-o-o-o-o good.

Anyway, this restful day has been a time of reflection for me and my plans for the future of the Retreat to Belief© ministry.

As I meditated on a plan of action for Retreat to Belief©, I considered a chance encounter at the Newberry United Methodist Women’s White Breakfast in April, an encounter which has been weighing heavily on my spirit. And now, on this day of reflection, I think this episode may have been God’s way of telling me how to spend this ministry to significantly glorify Him.

I believe the apostle Paul explained the Christian’s responsibility best when he penned in his first letter to the Corinthians, Chapter 10, Verse 31 (NIV) So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God. I would guess that Paul would have singled out writing as one of the ways to glorify our Creator. This former persecutor of Christians sure did enough writing in his time on this earth, didn’t he?

According to The American Journey of Biblical Theology, “Paul…is responsible for writing two thirds of our present New Testament, for which he is accredited for approximately fifty percent of the 27 extant letters; which equates to 13 letters (14, if Paul wrote Hebrews).”

Given this information about the make-up of the New Testament, Paul probably intended to specify writing in this passage, don’t you think?

As I researched Paul’s ministry, I came across this tidbit, which I am sure most of you know, but I’ll include it here for history’s sake if nothing else – Paul, a persecutor of Christians, Acts 9:4 (NIV)  [Saul/Paul] fell to the ground and heard a voice say to him, “Saul, Saul, why do you persecute me?” started life as Saul of Tarsus, Acts 9:11 (NIV) The Lord told [Ananias], “Go to the house of Judas on Straight Street and ask for a man from Tarsus named Saul, for he is praying,” and Acts 13:9a (NIV) Then Saul, who was also called Paul…

Anyway, I have seemingly gone off topic, but I believe this sidebar journey helps draw closure to my plans to expand this ministry in the form of a Bible study. I am currently in discussion with my former magazine editor in the hopes of working an understanding of just how to move forward with this Spirit-led idea.

As such, please pray for me as I begin this Jesus-following endeavor. As you are aware, the Bible says a lot about praying. One of my favorite passages comes from Philippians 4:4-9 (NIV) 4 Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! 5 Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. 6 Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. 7 And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. 8 Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things. 9 Whatever you have learned or received or heard from me, or seen in me—put it into practice. And the God of peace will be with you. {emphasis mine}

After all, Paul, who also penned Philippians, said in Chapter 4, Verse 13 (NKJV) wrote, I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

And, I can do all things with His strength because, “With God all things are possible.” Matthew 19:26b (NIV)

May the Lord above, Creator of all creatures big and small, bless you and keep you in His loving arms today and every day. Amen.

No comments: