Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Is it time to follow Him?

Are you a follower?
My personal prayer for today
(and every day) –
Lord, help me to will one thing: to belong entirely and undividedly to you. Amen.

What about you?

Are you up for the challenge? Are you willing to commit 100 percent to the Lord? Well, are you?

As has been preached to me many times over my 63+ years on this earth, commitment to Jesus requires sacrifice. As a Christian, one must be willing to set aside the trappings of the world and invest oneself entirely in Jesus.

I wake up every day with a prayer on my lips to do just that. Some days I succeed. Some days I fail. But, I like to believe that every day I sincerely try. I make the attempt.

What about you?

My husband and I are members of First Baptist Church here in Newberry. I have found this vessel of the Lord to be a true reflection of what a church should be – committed to His Word. I admit there are some doctrinal issues with which I disagree, specifically concerning a woman’s place in the church – but that’s a subject for another day.

Bottom line, the leaders at First Baptist not only talk the talk, they walk the walk.

To give you an idea of what being a Christian is all about, I want to share the following message, which is printed on the back of every bulletin from this local house of God.

An Open Invitation
The invitation to come to Jesus and be saved from your sinfulness is open every minute of every day. Nowhere is that more true than TODAY as you join us for worship of the One, True and Living God. The Bible says, [Romans 10:17] “Faith comes from hearing, and hearing by the word of God.” Today you have heard the Word of God, won’t you call on the name of the Lord and be saved?
 
Please understand:
• The decision to follow Jesus is costly, so it must be carefully considered. Jesus said, “No one who puts his hand to the plow and looks back is fit for service in the kingdom of God.” (Luke 9:62)
• The decision to follow Jesus is urgent, so make it soon. Jesus said, “You fool! This very night your life will be demanded from you. Then who will get what you have prepared for yourself?” (Luke 12:20)
• The decision to follow Jesus is worth it, so you want to make it. Jesus said, “The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full.” (John 10:10)

What about you?

Is today the day you make the commitment to follow Him?

Think about it. Pray about it.

As you ponder your decision to follow Him, remember Luke 9:23Then [Jesus] said to them all: “Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross daily and follow me.”

And, as I do every day, I will pray with you – May God bless you every day in every way and may today be the day you accept Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior. Amen

No comments: