Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Use your talents to spread His teachings

Been thinking a lot lately about Christian discipleship and what that means in my daily life.

I found a definition that addresses my discipleship ponderings on this website. If you clicked on the link, you found a page dedicated to following Jesus.

As I read that page I came across one sentence that summed up the whole idea of discipleship for me.

The statement? “Christian discipleship is more than being a believer - it's about being a follower!”

Since starting this blog the first of the year, I know that I have written a lot about being a follower of Jesus. Even though I have always been a believer in the Bible, God and Jesus, I have not always been a follower, at least in the manner of which He would have me follow Him.

Retreat to Belief is all about being a sinner in God’s sight. It’s about how to change my sinning ways, and perhaps yours too. It’s about sharing my loving relationship with our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ with other sinners like me.

Basically, Retreat to Belief is a sinner’s journal of how I accomplish the Great Commission by walking the path to being a true follower. It’s about using my God-given aptitude for writing to share that journey with all of you.

The apostle Paul wrote extensively about using our talents for God’s purpose. Most of you are probably familiar with Paul’s often-quoted teaching on this subject. If not, Romans 12:3-8 (NIV) titled Humble Service in the Body of Christ, reads, 3 For by the grace given me I say to every one of you: Do not think of yourself more highly than you ought, but rather think of yourself with sober judgment, in accordance with the faith God has distributed to each of you. 4 For just as each of us has one body with many members, and these members do not all have the same function, 5 so in Christ we, though many, form one body, and each member belongs to all the others. 6 We have different gifts, according to the grace given to each of us. If your gift is prophesying, then prophesy in accordance with your faith; 7 if it is serving, then serve; if it is teaching, then teach; 8 if it is to encourage, then give encouragement; if it is giving, then give generously; if it is to lead, do it diligently; if it is to show mercy, do it cheerfully.

I believe Paul’s message is that using our expertise in the capacity for which we are led by Him is a form of discipleship, agreed?

Have you ever used your flair for (insert your God-given talent here) to disciple others for Christ? Why not use that talent to share your knowledge of Him with others? Why not use your God-given talents to become a true follower of His Way?

Sometimes that can seem like a daunting task; I know.

Jesus even labeled it so, as retold in Luke 9:23 (NIV) Then he [Jesus] said to them all: “Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross daily and follow me."

In the verses immediately following, Jesus gave some very good reasons to take up that cross – 24 For whoever wants to save their life will lose it, but whoever loses their life for me will save it. 25 What good is it for someone to gain the whole world, and yet lose or forfeit their very self? 26 Whoever is ashamed of me and my words, the Son of Man will be ashamed of them when he comes in his glory and in the glory of the Father and of the holy angels.

Jesus said it; I believe it. I am a follower. God will take care of me. Jesus promised to do just that if I take up His cross. If I take on his yoke and learn…

Matthew 11:28-30 (NIV) 28 “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.”

Praying God will take care of all of you, directing you in the path of Christian discipleship. Amen


No comments: