Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Today is Ash Wednesday

Today is Ash Wednesday. Lent begins today, bringing with it a season of reflection and somber thought about our sin and Christ’s ultimate sacrifice.

Throughout Lent, Christians wait patiently to exchange the Easter morning greeting, “His is risen!” He is risen, INDEED!”

In my humble opinion, repentance and reconnecting are the key words associated with Lent.

During the weeks ahead, Christians throughout the world take time to reflect on the days leading up to the crucifixion of Jesus as foretold in Isaiah 53:12 (NIV)
[Bolded words from the scriptures are my emphasis.]
Therefore, I will give him a portion among the great,
   and he will divide the spoils with the strong,
because he poured out his life unto death,
    and was numbered with the transgressors.
For
he bore the sin of many,
    and made intercession for the transgressors.


Many Christians sacrifice a significant pleasure during the season of Lent. Some give up chocolate, some smoking, others give up alcoholic beverages or gambling. When I was a youngster, my Catholic friends were required to abstain from meat during Lent. I can remember the public school cafeteria always had a fish choice during the Lenten season.

This semi-fasting experience is not designed for depriving oneself of something, or as a means of atonement for our sins, it’s more about devoting yourself to God, fulfilling His purpose for us in this world.

I approach my sacrifice by reasoning that if I can take my mind off just one of my guilty pleasures for the next 40-odd days, perhaps the fast will result in a better relationship with the One who truly matters – Jesus Christ!

What are you giving up for Lent? Will it impact your relationship with Jesus? Think about it.

While you're considering the question, I'll close with a prayer that opened a devotional I am following during the Lenten season -

Almighty and everlasting God, you hate nothing you have made and forgive the sins of all who are penitent: Create and make in us new and contrite hearts, that we, worthily lamenting our sins and acknowledging our wretchedness, may obtain of you, the God of all mercy, perfect remission and forgiveness; through Jesus Christ our Lord, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever. Amen. — The Book of Common Prayer

And, AMEN!

No comments: