Monday, November 16, 2015

Whether you agree with them or not, pray for our leaders

The Apostle Paul pens a letter.
Yesterday our pastor’s message stemmed from Romans 13:1-7 (NIV) where the apostle Paul admonishes the faithful to accept the governmental rulers as those established by God. I have to say I take issue with this passage and the minister’s interpretation of it, which is, basically, why I am blogging about it today.

Although I am by no means a biblical scholar, I do know in my follower’s heart that a morally bankrupt government should not be honored and should never stand in victory over the children of God.

We also need to better digest this message by putting it into context, understanding that Paul’s letter to the Roman believers was penned during the era of the Caesars. An era where one of those hung on a cross and killed beside Jesus because he was a thief, yes, a thief – not a murderer or a rapist or a terrorist – a thief. Christians were likewise murdered for their beliefs. Have you ever read the story of Stephen, the first martyr for Christ? You can find his biography in the book of Acts, Chapters 6 and 7, and, specifically, his stoning in Chapter 7, Verses 54-60.

I believe that when Paul wrote about submitting to authorities he was not just writing about following the law of the land; he was writing about doing what is right in the eyes of God, not just in the eyes of man.

I, in no way, shape, form or fashion believe that Paul was saying we should condone killing an unborn child (the law of the land – Roe v. Wade) or accepting one of the most recent Supreme Court decisions – that anyone can marry anyone with no legal, or moral, recriminations.

Consider verse five, which reads – “[Therefore], it is necessary to submit to the authorities, not only because of possible punishment but also because of conscience.” My conscience has a real problem with both these law-of-the-land decisions. Does yours?

Now I ask you, how can any Christian, with a clear conscience, excuse such behavior as abortion or homosexual “marriage”? How can any Christian submit to any authority that not only allows these distasteful acts to happen, but actively supports them through healthcare laws and “spousal” privileges?

Peter, one of the original 12 disciples of Jesus, justifies the civil disobedience of Jesus’s chosen by telling the Sanhedrin, “We must obey God rather than men.” (Acts 5:29 NIV)

Of course it is not up to us to judge those who would actively defy God’s law. We are to pray for them and reserve condemnation and judgment for God. As Jesus said, and was recorded in Luke 6:37 (NIV) “Do not judge and you will not be judged. Do not condemn, and you will not be condemned…”

Even so, Paul did share Scripture’s purpose for correction of evil in 2 Timothy 3:16-17(NIV) where he wrote, “All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the servant of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.”

Mentally, I know God requires rulers to fairly govern the people he created and to support an avenue for proper justice for wrongdoers.

After all Paul did pen in verse three, “For rulers hold no terror for those who do right, but for those who do wrong. Do you want to be free from fear of the one in authority? Then do what is right and he will commend you.”

But I also know that God uses unfathomable circumstances to draw us closer to Him. Remember how the churches were filled after 9-11?

Many times in the Old Testament God allowed the forces of evil, the Egyptians, the Babylonians, the Assyrians – to name a few, to punish his chosen people. He did so for the sole purpose of forcing the Israelites to return to the God of Abraham, the God of their fathers, the One, the True, the only God of the universe.

Perhaps today’s ruling class is just like those idol worshipers of old; a class of evil so vile our only hope is in the God of the Bible?

As we sat in the sanctuary, my husband (co-author of this blog) and I were collectively shaking our heads at the inference that this government of ours was God-appointed.

In fact, Charlie expressed his doubts to the pastor after the service. Pastor told him that even if we disagree with the current leaders of our great nation, we still have to pray for them.

I’ll end today by agreeing with the direction pastor shared with my husband. And maybe even accepting the fact that this administration is God’s tool to bring us closer to Him.

Seems I have come full circle as I wrote this blog post this morning. Amazing! The Lord does work in mysterious ways, and by forcing me to dig further into the Scriptures, I now understand more clearly Rev. Andrew Manwarren’s Sunday morning message.

I know that we must pray for our leaders today and every single day. Paul directed this as well in his first letter to Timothy, 1 Timothy 2:1-2 (NIV) “I urge, then, first of all, that petitions, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for all people—for kings and all those in authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness.”

And now I am sharing this prayer (edited) from the A Spiritual Journey for Healing website…

A Prayer for Leaders in Your Life

Dear Heavenly Father,

I stop and think of those who are leaders in my life...
in my church…
in my home...
in my work...
in my country...
in the world...


Perhaps there is someone I find it hard to think of with love. 


I hand over to you any anger or fear I feel. In this moment, I send them love.


However I feel about them, in this moment, I see your love flowing through me to them. 


Dear God, I ask you to feed these people on your wisdom and your understanding,
for their good and for the good of all they serve.


Let them recognize and take the authority that is theirs to take, remembering that the authority bestowed on them is not of man but of God.


Thank you God for guiding them in your way every step of the way.

In Jesus name I pray,
Amen


And, may God bless each and every one of you every day in every way.

No comments: